Ignatius House Jesuit Retreat Center
A Place of Peace
A Place of Prayer
A School of Love
A Day to Remember
An Ancient Tradition
There is something for everyone at the Monastery of the Holy Spirit, and we invite you to “come and see” all that we have to offer. Stop by for the day or participate in a retreat, and immerse yourself in the monastic culture. A visit to the Monastery appeals to the mind, body and soul. While the natural beauty of the land and the unique architecture appeals to the eye, the monk’s commitment and dedication speaks to the soul.
Take a “mini retreat” and join us for the day. Enjoy nature, learn about the ancient traditions of Monasticism, explore our bonsai gardens, see the Gothic architecture and shop at the Abbey Store, it’s worth the trip! Find out how you can see it all.
Self-Guided Tour Activities
There is so much to do and see at the Monastery, some of the many activities our guests enjoy on their visits include:
- A self-guided tour of the Monastic Museum at the Visitor Center and watch the video about the life of the monks at the Monastery
- Visit the Abbey Church and join the monks for mass, mid-day prayer or vespers
- Learn about the art of Bonsai and shop for unique garden gifts at The Monastery Garden Center
- Visit the Abbey Store, enjoy a cup of coffee or a snack at the Cafe and review one of our many books about faith and Christianity
- Take a walk and explore some of the many unique features of the Monastery which include:
- The Prayer Walk where you can learn about Cistercian Saints
- Magnolia Lane
- Feed the ducks at the Monastery Lakes
- Make the Stations of the Cross at the Monastery Stations along the lake
- Plan a bike ride or walk along the Rockdale River trail through the Monastery property.
The following scheduled Monastery services are open to the public every day.
- 4:30 AM Vigils
- 7:00 AM Morning Prayer and Mass
- 12:15 PM Midday Prayer
- 5:20 PM Vespers (Evening Prayer)
- 7:30 PM Compline (Night Prayer)
Retreat. Rest. Reflect. Renew. The Monastery of the Holy Spirit is a place where you can “get away from it all” to revitalize your spirit and rejuvenate your soul. Feel free to put the world behind you and immerse yourself in the monastic lifestyle. We offer a sacred space where people can seek God in solitude, stillness and the beauty of nature.
Jesus often withdrew to a quiet place to nourish his spirit. He connected with the Father by visiting a solitary location, rising early in the morning and spending entire nights in prayer. As Jesus demonstrated, a spiritual retreat is a withdrawal from ordinary activities for a period of time to commune with God.
Retreat. Rest. Reflect. Renew. People of all faiths and no faith have been coming to The Monastery of the Holy Spirit for many years because it is a place where you can “get away from it all” to revitalize your spirit and rejuvenate your soul.
Retreat guests are invited to fully participate in the monastic schedule of the Divine Office. In the silence and solitude of a monastic retreat, one can rediscover lectio divina (praying the word of God), centering prayer (resting with God), and Eucharist (feeding on God).
Our Preached Retreat Program provides a rich variety of spiritual presentations designed around themes of Scripture and contemplative prayer. They also include spiritual writing suited to the needs of individuals who come to God in search of understanding, hope and clear purpose.
Some retreats provide a quiet and contemplative atmosphere conducive to prayer and reflection while others offer opportunities for sharing and mutual support. These individual and group retreat experiences offer retreatants time to simply be with God in love and listen to him speak personally through the Scriptures. On this weekend or midweek journey, in an atmosphere of silence, you will have solitary time for prayer, journaling, discerning, and quiet meditation in nature by our lakes, on our lawns, and on our peaceful walking trails. Come and enjoy this time of prayerful reflection in peace and silence.
Or you may prefer to experience a personal retreat and visit during a time when there is no scheduled program to allow you to reflect on your own. Our retreat house staff can help you decide what might be best for you.